Locations at Coorparoo and Nundah0448 233 556

S.E. Asia Pt 2

One Comment respond trackback

S.E. Asia Pt 2

It ┬áhas been a few days since I last posted, and with good reason too! I have been through a few crazy moments. At the moment I am in Lake Toba, Indonesia at a nice little guest house. It isn’t anything flash, but it has free Wifi so it can’t be all that bad.

Ok, well the last I left with blogging about how I was looking forward to going to the Muay Thai fights in Bangkok. Well that didn’t actually happen as a riot broke out between two political parties, and there was gun fire, tear gas, rubber bullets, the whole 9 yards. We were about three streets away from all the chaos and could hear the gun shots and tear gas, but it didn’t seem to bother the Thai’s that were around, so it couldn’t have been too bad! 15 dead, 700 injured!

Anyway we left the following morning for a run up to Siem reap, Cambodia. It took us 9 hours to get there by bus, taxi, and tuk-tuk but we finally made it. the next day we saw Angkor Wat and it’s amazing. It was built arond the 1100′s for a Hindu God and then later changed to a Buddha. The whole place is absolutely fantastic and if you get a chance to get there, definately see it.

The following day we flew to Kuala Lumpur for a night. Didn’t see much, but the wife got to do about 6 hours of shopping while I slept on various shop benches. And that leaves us with today – flew from Kuala Lumpur to Medan, Indonesia. We were supposed to get a bus for about 5 hours to Lake Toba, and then a ferry to a small isolated island. Well when we got off the plane, took about 15 minutes to get through immigration and customs as there was only one flight in – ours! Anyway we were walking out of the terminal when a bloke walked up and said he could take us to Lake Toba, my wife asked how much and after a bit of negotiation we got a ride down for $10 each. Bargain we thought! And it was only going to take 3 hours! Well, we were dropped off to a minibus were we shared a 9 seater with 16 people, and it took 5 1/2 hours! I had to deal with a bloke behind me listening to a radio and singing into it, the driver weaving in and out of traffic and almost killing us a few times, guy sitting next to me shouting out ‘Toba, Toba’ to see if anyone wanted a lift down there (at a price of course), old woman in front who would not open the window, another old woman constantly burping, and fighting for leg space! 5 1/2 hours later we just missed the ferry to the island, and was told the next one would be 30 minutes. Fine. We got onto the ferry, but it didn’t leave for another 2 hours. I got up and complained and yelled at anyone who would listen, but no one cared. So anyway we finally got the ferry and they were dropping off everyone at their hotel. I guess they didn’t take to my complaining as my wife and I were the last one’s off the ferry! What a day!

And to top it off, this isn’t the place we thoughr it would be. Instead we are off to Phket tomorrow…. :)

Stay tuned!

One Response

  1. Pete says:

    Ah Cheyne, One must learn to be still like water when troubled. Except when your in those bloody asian countries where they just bugger you over!!!!!! Glad you got some sleep, where the shopping benchs very comfortable? Pete.
    Ps Ashleys doing a good job. Classes have been well supported.
    Cya, enjoy.

Leave a Reply